Re: [SLE] FTP access denied
  • From: ericb@xxxxxx (Eric Brandwine)
  • Date: 03 Apr 2000 09:41:42 -0400

>>>>> "kj" == Kevin Jackson <kevin.jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hear hear!

Ftp should never be used, except as anonymous.

All our machine here use ssh. You can login, or run remote commands
with ssh, copy files like rcp with scp. You can set things up so that
you can log in without a password, if that's what you want. We've got
it integrated with Kerberos, which is definitely cool. _Everything_
that goes across the network goes across encrypted.

_All_ remote root access (telnet, ftp, ssh, etc) should be disabled.
If there is remote root access, someone can pound on your root
password remotely. If there is no remote root, they've got to
compromise the machine, get a login, and then start pounding.
Anything to raise the bar.

ericb

kj> Root is denied remote access by default as it is not a good idea
kj> to send the login information across an insecure connection.

kj> Kev

kj> -----Original Message-----
kj> From: benjamin.c [mailto:benjamin.c@xxxxxxxxxxx]
kj> Sent: 31 March 2000 21:43
kj> To: suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx
kj> Subject: [SLE] FTP access denied

kj> Hi everyone,

kj> when i try and FTP into my box, it tells me that the access it denied
kj> and in logs it get this error below

kj> FTP LOGIN REFUSED (name in /etc/ftphosts)
kj> FROM localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1], root
kj> Mar 31 21:01:55 localhost ftpd[8779]: ACCESS DENIED (not in any class) TO
kj> localh
kj> ost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]
kj> Mar 31 21:01:55 localhost ftpd[8779]: FTP LOGIN REFUSED (access denied) FROM

kj> loc
kj> alhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1], root
kj> Mar 31 21:02:01 localhost ftpd[8779]: FTP session closed

kj> --
kj> To unsubscribe send e-mail to suse-linux-e-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxx
kj> For additional commands send e-mail to suse-linux-e-help@xxxxxxxx

kj> Also check the FAQ at http://www.suse.com/Support/Doku/FAQ/