Re: [SLE] FYI - Mozilla M14 and Corel WPO2000

On Mon, 03 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> > I've been running Mozilla Milestone14 for three days now. Unlike
> > Netscape 4.7.2, which hung the keyboard and mouse frequently on java
> > loop displays of animated gifs, M14 never does. M14, however, is
> > slower than 4.7.2 by 25 to 35%. I have had 6 crashes in the three
> > days I have had M14 installed. There is no reproducible pattern to
> > any of the six crashes. At least I don't have to reset my PC to
> > regain control when M14 crashes. The email feature is MUCH slower on
> > M14 than previous versions of Netscape. CNN still does not recognize
> > the Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) of M14, which prevents me from
> > testing the video options.
> > As I said before, I think I'll wait for KDE's Konquorer.
>
> Go easy on Mozilla. It's still alpha, so critising it is a
> bit unfair. There's still loads of assertions and debug code

I'm doing more than 'going easy'. I am running the FullCircle
release and automatically reporting all errors to Mozilla. In fact,
I thought I was being complimentary. The issues I raise are
constructive criticisms. Mozilla will not 'live long and prosper' if
the speed issues and CSS issues are not addressed. The auto
reporting facility doesn't trigger on slow speed or compatibility
issues. And, I will still waite to evaluate Konquorer before I
decide which browser I will use.
BTW, When I was running WinXX I also bought Opera's browser and used
it, and except for the fact that it didn't have a mail-newreader
program with it, it was pretty good. I don't plan to purchase the
Opera for Linux browser though.
JLK

> in there so it's hardly suprising it's slow. The beta is due
> out this week, which should be at least feature complete,
> but I would suggest you avoid that too, unless you really
> understand what you are looking at: this isn't finished
> code, it's unfair to moan about crashes and poor
> performance.
>
> On the bright side, Mozilla M14 seems to run a fair bit
> faster than Netscape 4.7 on my SMP box. I've a feeling
> they've threaded the new rendering engine.
>
> --

__ _
/ / (_)__ __ ____ __ * Powerful * Flexible * Compatible * Reliable *
/ /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / *Well Supported * Thousands of New Users Every Day*
/____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\ The Cost Effective Choice - Linux Means Business!