Re: [SLE] Linux on ThinkPad 600X
  • From: gdoris@xxxxxxxx (Gerry Doris)
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 14:22:46 -0400 (EDT)

Check out the IBM website. There are instructions there on how to setup
their laptops for linux. I used those to put SuSE 6.3 on an IBM 600E and
it worked fine.

If I remember correctly you have to recompile the kernel to get apm to
work correctly (specific choices have to be made that aren't in the
supplied kernel).

You also have to select NeoMagic as well as a laptop screen. Seems to me
that I used SaX.

Gerry

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Anders Johansson wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I have SuSE 6.3 and I'm trying to install it on an IBM ThinkPad 600X.
> Everything works fine except for two things.
>
> When I install a kernel I select 'Kernel with APM support', but when I try to
> use the APM functions I just get 'No APM support in the kernel'
>
> and, more importantly, the X setup fails horribly.
> SaX is more or less unusable as it starts up in some weird mode that lets me
> view about 1/4 of the screen, and I haven't found a way to scroll. XF86Setup
> gives me a workable screen, but I can't seem to get it to identify my h/w
> properly.
>
> The thinkpad has a NeoMagic 2160 according to the IBM docs, and this is
> supposedly supported according to XFree. However, the server only identifies
> 64K RAM, but the card has 2M. Has anyone else had this experience and found a
> solution?
>
> Please help
> //Anders
>

> --

Gerry

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to learne" Chaucer