Re: [SLE] how to make a DOS formated floppy?
  • From: dwj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Dwight Johnson)
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 10:14:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Bostjan Muller wrote:

> I am trying to format a floppy 3.5" HD to a DOS format readable on a win/DOS
> machine. Whenever I create a floppy on a linux machine it is either unreadable
> on windows or it has bad sectors :(

I have had very good luck using the mtools package. Type 'mtools' at the
command prompt to see a list of the mtools utilities.

The format tool is 'mformat'. Type 'man mformat' at command prompt for more
information.

I have been lucky enough not to have had to deal with DOS floppies for some
years, but in days of yore :) I enjoyed the flexibility and power of
'mformat' to make 3-1/2 floppies to fool MS-DOS into thinking they were
1.2Mb 5-1/4 when I wanted to install software on a computer with only a
3-1/2 drive and my software masters were 5-1/4.

In another case, I used mformat to pack more data (something like 1.7Mb) on
a floppy than the standard format.

Good luck,
Dwight

--