[SLE] Re: An etiquette for this list - a call for discussion
  • From: jcm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (David Porter)
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 07:01:48 -0700

* Steve Sheriff <fsanta@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> [...] We just like to talk. *Please* do not inflict rules upon us. It is a
> relief to newcomers to find a list like this. Just try a previously posted
> question to most other lists to find yourself the idiot of the list in no
> uncertain terms. As a newcomer six months ago I could have got nowhere near
> where I am today without the freedom to talk to this list. We are trying to
> encourage newcomers I hope. Please let them have the same opportunity to
> post as I had.

Well, these "rules" already exist, they are a part of the internet, and
people who want the highest level of information transfer tend to advocate
some basic guidelines. They already appear on the list, such as when someone
sends html mail, or recently when someone's mail was seen as hard to read.

I think that the question is if we should have a document to a) orient
people as to what these recommended guidelines are, b) something to refer
them to when they are doing something silly (like quoting a three page
message to say "Same here.")

James said, "The major problem with having stated rules will be the
self-appointed "SuSE Police"." Well, just a thought but doesn't this kind of
action (exessive hand-waving at the guidelines) deserve a mention in a list
of guidelines if we use one? That way, any list lawyers wouldn't have a leg
to stand on!

_david_