Re: [SLE] Corel cheated.
  • From: adcarlso@xxxxxxxxxx (Arlen Carlson)
  • Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 07:50:58 -0500 (EST)

On 01-Apr-00 Jerry L Kreps wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Avi Schwartz wrote:
>> So far I have no luck with installing the Corel Office 2000 for Linux:
>>
>> 1. The installation program refuses to run since it thinks that I don't
>> have glibc 2.X installed (I have, this is SuSE 6.3).
>
> That's two of us! Did you see my update on my attempts to obtain
> technical help from Corel to solve this problem? Doesn't look
> promising. They haven't any preparations in place to solve this
> problem except for one active newgroup manned by a 'C_tech' volunteer.
> This will result in a large rash of unhappy installation attempts,
> rapid word of mouth,er, email, about these problems and Corel will
> suffer for it.
>

>> 2. Tried the manual install (i.e. installing all the RPMs they list for
>> the full product). The RPMs install but I still don't get the
>> application executable nor know how to do the per user install and get
>> the icons.
>>
>> It is very disappointing that they didn't test the installation program
>> on anything but Corel Linux and Redhat. It also worries me very much
>> that in fact we have now incompatible Linux systems. Redhat with their
>> tendency to do things a bit different are de-facto fragmenting the OS.
>
> It is an exact copy of the M$ 'embrace and extend' model... VERY,
> VERY disconcerting.

Hmmm! I said pretty much the same thing about their distribution when I
learned that a very knowledgeable friend of mine was having problems installing
Corel Linux--it was severely changing partitions and other previously-usable
aspects of his hard drive during the install. Apparently he couldn't get it
working in the end. Makes it seem that Corel is seeking flat out revenge on
M$, by doing all that the latter has done to the general populace.

>> While the kernel maybe the same, program cannot always install cleanly.
>> Very disturbing.
>>
>> Avi
>>
>> Jerry L Kreps wrote:

>> > I purchased online at www.chumbo.com. They require a request for an
>> > RMA before returning a product.
>> > On the Corel 'Product Authenticity Card', which also contains the
>> > serial number, it says that if you are not satisfied you can call
>> > 1-800-772-6735 within 30 days of the date of purchase for a full
>> > refund. Allow up to 10 weeks to receive your refund.

>> > I had excellent results with my CDROM copy of Wordperfect 8.
>> > JLK

>> --
>> Avi Schwartz Get a Life
>> avi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Get Linux
>>
>> --

Arlen Carlson <adcarlson@xxxxxxxxx>

You are a very redundant person, that's what kind of person you are.

This message was sent by XFmail (Linux)

-o)
/\\
_\_v