RE: [SLE] Firewall/Masq box
  • From: jhoepner@xxxxxxxx (Jim Hoepner)
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 09:24:48 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Warrl [mailto:warrl@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2000 11:24 PM
To: jhoepner@xxxxxxxx; Jim Hoepner; suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [SLE] Firewall/Masq box

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Jim Hoepner wrote:

>> I think I'm getting out thru the firewall cause I see it says
>> "Website found" and displays the IP address but sits there
>> "waiting for reply"

> Are you using the firewall box as a nameserver as well?
I *don't* think so. I set START_NAMED="no" in /etc/rc.config
but when I boot I see the NAME SERVICE CACHE DAEMON is starting?

>Start on the firewall itself. Can you, from there, see your other
>machines? Can you, from there, see the rest of the world?
I can see my other machines/world. I can ping to my network and
out to the world by IPaddr and hostname.

>Can you see through it to the outside world, by IP address?
I can telnet, ping, ftp and receive mail (outlook 98 if that matters)
thru my firewall both by IPaddr and hostname. I just tried to ping
thru the firewall when my ppp was down and it said "response from
<myfirewall> network is unreachable" so it sure looks like it's
going thru instead of around.

I have some /var/log/message entries that might have something
to do with the problem:

ent [LCP ConfRej id=ox1 < 11 04 05 ea> < 13 09 03 00 c0 49 0d bd 83>]
rcvd [CCP ConfRej id=0x1 <deflate 15> <deflate(old#) 15> <bsd v1 15>]
sent [CCP ConfRej id=0x6 < 12 06 00 00 00 01> < 11 05 00 00 03>
< 11 06 00 00 01 01>]
Cannot determine ethernet address for proxyArp
CCP: timeoutsending Config-Requests

Might these errors (I assume their errors) have something to do with my
problem?
Thanks!
jrh