[SLE] SANE and UMAX help needed
  • From: toganm@xxxxxxxxx (Togan Muftuoglu)
  • Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 14:55:39 +0300

Hi everyone,

After checking the sane homepage and realzing that I can not get UMAX
Astra 1220 S by no means in Turkey I got myself UMAX Astra 2200 USB
SCSI. I would like to writedown what I have done so far maybe someone
could show me the way cause I am getting lost.

I knew the scsi card coming out of the umax package was not supported
under linux (except for the isa one but it did not work with me) I
installed a Tekram DC390 pci scsi card to the system. Tried it under the
Win98se got it working there.

I am using a compiled kernel already with generic scsi support so I can
use my ide-atapi cdwriter.

ince the scsi card info was not included in my kernel I decied to
included manualy.

$ modprobe tmscsim
$ sgcheck

founds the scsi emulation at sg0 for the cdwriter
scsi at sg1 for umax astra 2200

After reading the info at the sane home page and checking my suse 6.3
sane versions I decided to get the source from the homepage both for the
sane 1.02 and the sane- umax 1.02

I upgraded the gimp from the suse site to 1.14 and also got the shared
libraries.

I compiled it under /usr/local/sane-1.02 directory after applying the
umax patch as indicated by the readmes's.

I downloaded xsane-0.57 also and compiled it.

edited the /etc/ld.so.conf added the/usr/local/bin/sane
ran SuSEconfig

I did scanimage -T option and everything passed (at least these are the
messages I saw). Being very happy log in to the Xenvironment run KDE
open xterm type xsane

No devices available

What did I do wrong or what I am missing ?

thx in advance

--
Togan Muftuoglu
toganm@xxxxxxxxx