[SLE] [Fwd: Re: [SLE] Disk partitioning]
  • From: muzh@xxxxxxxxxx (cll)
  • Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 20:04:46 +1200

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SLE] Disk partitioning
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 19:47:21 +1200
From: cll <muzh@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Cheedu <omicron@xxxxxxx>

Cheedu wrote:

> hello
>
> I am a sort of a newbie to suse 6.3. I was a redhat user. If you
> don't mind , can you help me with a slight problem during installation.
>
> i want to know how i can specify the sizes of / ,/boot,/home
> partitions during installation. My disk geometry being what it is , my
> hard disk has more than 1024 cylinders. Disk Druid in RHL says its 1027
> but yast says its around 2337. So the /boot in suse somehow manages to
> come after the 1500th cylinder. So lilo won't work properly. Moreover, my
> hard-disk is not contigous. Repeated formatting and resizing of partitions
> are to be blamed, i suppose. Any idea how i can continue? Even
> documentation on the web would be nice.
>
> Cheers
> Cheedu

Congrats on coming to SuSE. I had my share of cock-ups due to Red Hat
Disk Druid :(
Anyway, for LILO, the only requirement is that the kernel and bootfiles
reside in the first 1024 cylinders of the first 2 hard disks visible to
the system.
Choose or make a partition satisfying the above conditions. (It only
needs to be 1 LBA cylinder -- about 7MB), and set it as /boot
mountpoint.
Put your kernel and bootfiles in this /boot partition.
All other files can go anywhere.

Hope this helps --

Never trust a man in a suit
cll