RE: [opensuse-project] Re: Does the project have a publicly accessible project management tool?
  • From: "Administrator" <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 08:51:14 +0100
To end on a more positive note (after that long rant)...

Don't get me wrong: some sort of task and progress tracking tool
could be highly useful if used in a central manner by everyone
and all the teams (artwork, boosters, infrastructure, possibly
OBS, marketing, board (some things need privacy though),
possibly factory, etc...) in order to have
- *one* place/tool where to look for tasks, TODOs,
progress/state
- interconnection/linking between tasks that go over the
boundaries of a single team (e.g. marketing depending on some
artwork being done before they can move on)
- a tool that doesn't do a dozen other things, as that'll just
create even more spilling of information and, with it,
confusion

From my personal perspective (I'd love to have such a tool available) could
I add to the list support for interlinking:

- Each external object (where the tool doesn't hold the "master" or
"original" information) should have the space for a URL to connect to the
original version of that thing

- Each display of an object within the tool should have a unique URL which
will reach it directly, and these URLs should behave well (e.g. when
duplicates are merged)

There are other things which would be useful, but these are a minimum.

I think these things should be mandatory for all tools used by openSUSE so
we can (slowly, over time) link together usefully the different tools.

HTH
David