  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 01:44:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Friday, 2009-07-31 at 18:03 +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:

As Will said earlier "I am talking about a political statement" -- and
that's where the proposal loses me. This *isn't really about
simplifying user choice, it's about making a political statement and
the rest of the reasons seem tacked on to me as reasons to support
doing it.

Well, it just shows that this is not about limiting the choice, when two KDE
people here see it differently :). Will is clearly for 1), and while that
actually makes a lot of sense to me too, I like being careful and think 2) is
more feasible for now.

That page during installation is clearly wrong, strictly technically
speaking. Even users who don't know have to chose, and the preferred choice
is not at the top, so unaware users will choose something that is used by a
(relative) minority. That should be fixed, and I, being the engineer I am,
like going for simpler tasks first. It would also show the KDE community that
Novell does not push openSUSE for GNOME no matter what as is the perception,
and I consider that worth more than the GNOME community being disappointed by
the fact that they are not the default desktop when they are not it anyway.
Especially if this was done without the fuss, but I guess it may be too late
for that.

I would prefer a random order, or an alfabetical order. But I agree that ordering on the number of users of each desktop is also appropiate - provided this fact is written somewhere on that window.

By the way, how do you clasify people that use two or more desktop types? On which side do you count them?

Because I use both gnome and kde...

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.