  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 17:37:53 +0200
On Friday 31 July 2009 17:32:39 Lubos Lunak wrote:
This doesn't really tell much in practice. Either the user knows the
difference and then this isn't useful, or the user doesn't know, and then
this is not something to decide based on information in one installation
page. If they user doesn't know, all they really want to know is usually
only "so which one should I use?", and there the easier way is to preselect
something.

For a little light at the end of a long Friday afternoon: I've always been in
favour of a quack psychological test of the sort favoured by Facebook apps.
Give it about 20 questions that laterally establish whether the user likes
progress, conservatism, minimalism or what then show the resulting desktop
choice on 75% of the screen with the other options clustered around it. But I
could never be bothered to learn enough YCP to hack the installer in time for
April 1. Maybe next year.

Will