  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 16:57:15 +0200
On Friday 31 July 2009 16:37:53 Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Will Stephenson<wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
However - if we want to go down this route, shall we remove all other
dialogs and choices that aren't found in other installers?

reductio ad adsurdum and actually the opposite of what is being suggested
- you says we should remove all distinguishing features when actually
defaulting to KDE would give us a huge distinguishing feature.

Again, it's not a "huge distinguishing feature." It's a radio button
that's pre-selected.

If Ubuntu shipped GNOME + KDE on the same disc, and simply
pre-selected the GNOME choice, would you call that a "distinguishing
feature"?

You're suggesting that making a choice for the user is a
distinguishing feature. OK - then let's make all the choices, and be
really distinguished! Or, let's be *about choice and distinguish
ourselves that way.

Choosing a default and being about choice are not opposites. And I don't
think the "being about choice" message has gotten through.

Don't diminish the significance of the statement that makes. Think back to
the uproar the GNOME default on SLED selection made, which continues to be
extended to openSUSE in the "all the major distributions default to GNOME"
comments all over the internet. This is a chance for openSUSE to stand out,
play to its users' preferences, and win more users and developers.

Will