Re: [opensuse-marketing] feedback on news
  • From: Satoru Matsumoto <helios_reds@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 16:14:19 +0900
On 2010-10-28 Satoru wrote:

From one of the editors point of view, it is not so easy to determine
whether an article is appropriate for our Weekly News or not. In other
words, whether an article is just a neutral report on what's going on or
authors opinion isn't sometimes quite clear. And, the borderline between
constructive opinions and offensive criticisms is often vague.

Oh absolutely. That is also why I send this mail - to try and let us figure
out those lines a bit more clearly. It will never be completely clear - but
having a goal in mind (like informing community members what is going on in
openSUSE; or marketing openSUSE to users and visitors to the site) can help in
the decision making.

Please note that what I am trying to say is not that you guys made a wrong
choice. It simply depends on what you think the Weekly news is for, what the
goal is. And as you guys are making it, that is very much your decision. If
you want to inform the community about what is going on, then something like
Nelson's blog might belong in there. If you want to be a marketing tool, then
it doesn't. As I don't think that choice has been made you have done nothing
wrong ;-)

Yet another strategy discussion for Weekly News here. :-D

Just as we have to define who are our customers when we discuss about
strategies for marketing, we have to define who are the supposed readers
when we edit Weekly News.

ATM, our teams objective is:
"The openSUSE Weekly News are the newsletter of and for the openSUSE
community. The aim of the newsletter is to summarize everything that is
happening in and around the openSUSE Community. (...)"
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Weekly_news

Of course this can be revised if needed. But currently, I mainly focus
on readers:

- who are already involved in openSUSE project/community (including
casual users)
- who are interested in trends of openSUSE distribution, Linux and FLOSS

And my selection criteria for articles are as follows:

- whether the information in the article should be widely shared by
readers or not
- whether the article is interesting and/or useful for readers or not

Those may be a little bit different from what Sascha and other team
mates have in their mind in detail, but I believe they are much alike.

If we focus much more on marketing element of Weekly News than ever,
many things need to be drastically overhauled. How we can effectively
use Weekly News as a marketing tool should be further discussed and
I want to hear as many ideas as possible from marketing team guys. But
in any case, what I am mostly concerned about is, whether Weekly News
are interesting for readers and they can have fun with reading them or
not. I will never be interested in creating a mere 'free paper for
advertising of little interest to anyone'. ;-)

Meanwhile, I am also a translator of Weekly News in addition to being an
editor. In translators point of view, (translating) Weekly News has one
more important role.

As you know, recently an announcement titled 'Advance discontinuation
notice for openSUSE 11.1' was posted to -announce list (and to several
other lists).
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-announce/2010-10/msg00008.html

I think it is a very important information which *every* openSUSE user
should share. But unfortunately, such kind of announcements are usually
posted only in English, that is, there are few chance for users who are
not good at reading English to know the information if they are not
translated by someone.

I think translating Weekly News will be helpful for solving this
problem, because Weekly News always include such kind of important
announcements.

Like this, Weekly News can have several roles. We can include a role as
a marketing tool in roles of Weekly News, but IMHO, limiting the role to
marketing (or advertising) is not a good idea (at least, neither
interesting nor attractive for me).

Best,

--
_/_/ Satoru Matsumoto - openSUSE Member - Japan _/_/
_/_/ Marketing/Weekly News/openFATE Screening Team _/_/