[opensuse-marketing] «event» - local school brainstorm...
  • From: Nelson Marques <nmo.marques@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 17:15:17 +0100

Dear all,

During November {22,23,26} I'll be giving a small introduction to Free
Software and GNU/Linux in the local high school.

This will cover 43 students on the IT branch. Regarding the event
itself it's organized as follows (it's pretty much informal):

Session #1 - Introduction (50 + 50 mins)
- Introduce Free Software;
- Install a Linux Distribution (was actually thinking on using
openSUSE 11.3, free choice GNOME/KDE).
- Software Repositories and Package management.

Session #2 - Free Desktop and Productivity (50 + 50 mins)
- Configure and tweak GNOME/KDE;
- Introduction to productivity applications;

Session #3 - Collaboration & Aftermath
- Collaboration across Free Software;
- Developing skills and interacting with FOSS Communities;
- Aftermath (includes grabbing all the feedback we can use, small
group session informal talk with the students).

The dates are 90% sure, but they might be changed, as there were
concerns in trying to make this on a week where they don't have
evaluation tests and this part of the trimester is complicated for
students. Either way, if there are changes, they will be decided during
the next week.

From this event we earn:
* Feedback;
* A cool article for our wiki/blog sphere;
* Some local advertising on local newspapers (I can't grant this, but I
will push it forward, including on the radio if possible, since this
actually for the benefit of the local people).
* Some photos, though I don't legally if we can use them or not because
they are children (minors), and as a marketeer I would hate to make
usage of them. I would probably dodge this issue by asking to have them
posted on the school website.

What I could use:

* Installation Media.
* USB sticks (I have those sorted out, a local corporation will sponsor
those, all installs and such are going to be made on USB sticks, one per
student).

Can I get some media shipped to the school? I would rather have it
shipped to the Administration of the School than exactly to me. I do
have stickers I brought from the conference, so I will be using them as
well.

Nelson.