Re: [opensuse-marketing] writing opportunities
  • From: "Bryen M. Yunashko" <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 08:42:43 -0500
On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 15:34 +0200, Henne Vogelsang wrote:
Hey,

On 27.10.2010 09:00, Bryen M. Yunashko wrote:

This is one of the priorities we discussed last week at our BoF and we
really need to go out into the community and over a long period of time
seek out qualified folks who can write such articles.

I'm sorry i missed the BoF, it clashed with the appstore one, but i beg
to disagree. Basically I think the openSUSE Marketing team needs to
transition from an "call for action/organizing" to a "action" team. I
also think, given the recent months, you're already half-way there. We
need you guys to step up and make it happen.

That means that with this opportunity to market openSUSE you need to
come up with a prioritized list of things to write about (things YOU
deem important) and then go ahead (individuals or as team) and write
them. If you in the course of writing them need input or technical help
you approach experts directly or ask specific things on the appropriate
mailinglist/forum/whatever.

The recent months have shown that to make blogposts, articles or
announcements happen it needs the marketing team to take care of this
and the success has shown that you are more than capable to deliver
great media. I would like to strongly encourage you to explore this
direction further!

Henne

P.S. Sorry if I come across as someone who is telling you what to do but
i really really liked what you guys did so far. Don't stop now :)

--
Henne Vogelsang, openSUSE.
- Mike Tyson

Honestly, I don't think what you said is a disagreement but rather an
agreement. :-)

The point of my statement was that part of the team building includes
recruiting people to join the marketing team as writers. And we've got
some good folks already. Not many in the team currently have article
writing skills, though I have always felt that deep down, everyone has
the skills, they just haven't seen it in themselves yet. :-)

Thus far, our marketing team has been one that is based on people coming
to the team and saying "I wanna do...." And there's more out there
that we can reach out to and say "You can do..." I once again
re-iterate that everyone is a marketer, they just don't know it
yet. :-)

We need more writers. Plain and simple. We need to go beyond just the
wait until someone comes by mentality we've been doing so far.

Bryen