Re: [opensuse-marketing] 11.4 Milestone 2 announcement
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 10:55:16 +0200
On Wednesday 06 October 2010 18:23:18 Will Stephenson wrote:
On Tuesday 05 October 2010 20:19:11 Andreas Jaeger wrote:
As discussed in today's marketing IRC meeting: We're a week late with the
M2 announcement.

Coolo gave me the following package update info, will somebody write this
week an announcement for Milestone 2?

I'll add links when I put into into news.o.o

BEGINS
openSUSE Announces Second 11.4 Development Milestone With

The sentenced is not complete.

This week, the openSUSE project announces Milestone 2 of openSUSE 11.4.

Write somewhere that this is milestone 2 out of 6.

Milestones are periodic development snapshots of the next release of
openSUSE. Milestone 2 (M2) includes updates to major components across the
breadth of the distribution.

Starting at the bottom of the stack, Linux Kernel 2.6.36rc4 made it into
M2. This is accompanied by the OpenGL implementation Mesa 7.9, which
provides a new shader compiler and support for newer Radeon chips. The
cronie crontab manager replaces the Vixie cron used until now and adds the
flexible anacron, which allows cronjobs to happen even if the machine was
powered down at the scheduled time. D-Bus 1.4 adds support for systemd
and fixes the threading issues which gave KDE 4.5 problems.

Productivity users can get a taste of the future with OpenOffice 3.3alpha,
including the user interface redesign resulting from Project Renaissance.
Developers will enjoy Python 2.7, the latest, and last in the Python 2
line, as well as the new D language support in gdb 7.2, and the newly
released Qt 4.7 and boost 1.44 libraries.

Rounding out the milestone are point release updates galore to GNOME
2.31.92, KDE 4.5.1, Inkscape 0.48, KOffice 2.2.2, and Firefox 3.6.10.

We look forward to your bug reports and test experiences. As usual,
automated testing and the openSUSE Factory team have been taking hits for
you to ensure that M2 will be at least minimally functional.

The next milestone is scheduled to for November 5.
ENDS

thanks,
Andreas
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany