Re: [opensuse-marketing] 11.4 Milestone 2 announcement
  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 18:23:18 +0200
On Tuesday 05 October 2010 20:19:11 Andreas Jaeger wrote:
As discussed in today's marketing IRC meeting: We're a week late with the
M2 announcement.

Coolo gave me the following package update info, will somebody write this
week an announcement for Milestone 2?

I'll add links when I put into into news.o.o

BEGINS
openSUSE Announces Second 11.4 Development Milestone With

This week, the openSUSE project announces Milestone 2 of openSUSE 11.4.
Milestones are periodic development snapshots of the next release of openSUSE.
Milestone 2 (M2) includes updates to major components across the breadth of
the distribution.

Starting at the bottom of the stack, Linux Kernel 2.6.36rc4 made it into M2.
This is accompanied by the OpenGL implementation Mesa 7.9, which provides a
new shader compiler and support for newer Radeon chips. The cronie crontab
manager replaces the Vixie cron used until now and adds the flexible anacron,
which allows cronjobs to happen even if the machine was powered down at the
scheduled time. D-Bus 1.4 adds support for systemd and fixes the threading
issues which gave KDE 4.5 problems.

Productivity users can get a taste of the future with OpenOffice 3.3alpha,
including the user interface redesign resulting from Project Renaissance.
Developers will enjoy Python 2.7, the latest, and last in the Python 2 line,
as well as the new D language support in gdb 7.2, and the newly released Qt
4.7 and boost 1.44 libraries.

Rounding out the milestone are point release updates galore to GNOME 2.31.92,
KDE 4.5.1, Inkscape 0.48, KOffice 2.2.2, and Firefox 3.6.10.

We look forward to your bug reports and test experiences. As usual, automated
testing and the openSUSE Factory team have been taking hits for you to ensure
that M2 will be at least minimally functional.

The next milestone is scheduled to for November 5.
ENDS

--
Will Stephenson, openSUSE Team