Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Creating initrds with no good reason WAS: Questions about osc
  • From: Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 16:23:52 +0200
Am Freitag, 18. September 2020, 14:49:45 CEST schrieb Martin Wilck:
On Fri, 2020-09-18 at 12:48 +0200, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
Am Freitag, 11. September 2020, 16:51:19 CEST schrieb Larry Finger:
On 9/11/20 3:24 AM, Michal Kubecek wrote:
That's part of the kmp packaging macro magic, not much the kmp
packager
can do about it.

There is the possibility of doing crazy ugly hacks like

%define regenerate_initrd_posttrans /bin/true\
%{nil}

but a bug / feature request against kernel-macros package to
give kmp
packagers an easy and documented way to say "this module will
not end up
on initrd" would be better:-)

+1000

There is an easy way, and it's actually documented, albeit not very
prominently.

You can use the "-t template" option of the %kernel_module_package
macro. See section 6 of the kernel module packages manual.
(https://drivers.suse.com/doc/kmpm/Kmpm-code11.pdf)

Typically, you'd copy the default template /usr/lib/rpm/kernel-module-
subpackage into your project as an additional source file, modify it to
suit your needs, and feed it's path to the -t option.

Well, that's done for virtualbox already. Larry, during investigation, I
noticed, that the spec yanks "^Provides: multiversion(kernel)" from
/usr/lib/rpm/kernel-module-subpackage, do you remember the reasoning?
I still remember a case, where I tried to switch back to an older kernel,
which resulted in a dysfunctional VB, since the kmp is *replaced* with the
newest build for the latest kernel. The idea of this tag is to support
multiple kmp builds for several kernels, and VB shouldn't be excluded from
this.

Martin, if I read /usr/lib/rpm/kernel-module-subpackage (as of TW) correctly,
it would suffice to supply "-b KMP_NEEDS_MKINITRD=0" to %kernel_module_package
for suppressing the initrd regeneration. Am I right?

Cheers,
Pete