Re: [opensuse-buildservice] CentOS8: No python3?
  • From: Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 03:36:30 -0400
On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 3:08 AM Michael Calmer <mc@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi

Am Dienstag, 1. Oktober 2019, 21:19:16 CEST schrieb Adrian Schröter:
On Dienstag, 1. Oktober 2019, 17:49:57 CEST Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Dienstag, 1. Oktober 2019, 17:30:57 CEST Julio Gonzalez wrote:
I am trying to fix the issue at
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE:Tools/obs-service-tar_scm
not building for CentOS_8 with

Problem is that "python3" is not available.

As far as I can tell from
https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2019/05/07/what-no-python-in-red-hat-en
erprise-linux-8/ and the tests I am making myself at a CentOS8 VM,
neither
python2 or python3 are part of the baseOS repository, but part of the
AppStream repository.

Is AppStream repo missing at OBS?

no, it is included. Check "osc meta prj CentOS:CentOS-8"

there seems to be no python3 package neither in baseos nor in appstream
repos atm.

will need to check where it lives tomorrow. (or if it is missing, it
wouldn't be the first breakage, we saw also other missing x86_64 rpms
where
only i686 are there. It seems they didn't run a dependency check before
publishing)

just checked again, it is indeed in AppStream as python36, but only in a
module. We hide currently all module content because it leads to conflicts.

Uhhh, this means that even the BaseOS repository is not self contained and
cannot be used
without app streams? It contains python3 packages and if there is no python 3
base package you
cannot install them and get unresolved dependency errors if you try it.

BaseOS includes a special Python runtime called platform-python for
system components, but developing against this is essentially broken
without the python36 module in AppStream.