Re: [opensuse-buildservice] building xz requires xz
Am Mittwoch, 16. Oktober 2013, 10:57:03 schrieb Ruediger Meier:
On Tuesday 15 October 2013, Brian K. White wrote:
Come on, building xz requires xz ?

I used to build xz on a bunch of old targets so that OTHER packages
that required xz would find it, but now they all fail because the
Base:build/xz I branched from changed to use xz-<version>.tar.xz as
it's source file.

I maintain a project for many targets where xz and tar is only built if
it's needed to let it work with xz compressed sources. You could
aggregate the packages from there
https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor/home:rudi_m:bldchn

xz itself cannot sanely buildrequires xz!

You also need gcc to build gcc, or coreutils for coreutils.
Of course in this case I also find it pity that xz sources were not
fixed generally for all standard distros on OBS.

I think the difference here is that the very old gcc of the oldest
distribution is still enough to start to bootstrap gcc.

While xz just does not exist at all in the old distros.

Yes, bootstraping is needed for many packages, but it is good when
it can be avoided.

(AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg