Re: [opensuse-ambassadors] Re: [opensuse-marketing] conference to go to
  • From: Graham Lauder <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 11:19:54 +1200
On Thursday 23 Sep 2010 03:26:17 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
On Wednesday 22 September 2010 16:20:56 Michael Loeffler wrote:
Moin,

On Wednesday 22 September 2010 13:52:21 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
Hi all,

In december, FOSS.in will happen. In Januari there is LinuxCon
Australia. I can most likely go to only one of these two events.

India: >1 billion inhabitants
Australia > 21 million inhabitants

Maybe that gives a hint. This combined with the number of ambassadors we
have on the ambassador list [1] for both countries is for me a clear
sign to go to India. Additional what I heard about FOSS.in the last
years was very positive - though I never visited it myself.

On the other hand, Australia gets visitors from New Sealand, which is very
much an upcoming open source developer country. India, on the other hand,
has a very hard time motivating students to work on FOSS in their free
time and most of the 'ambassadors' seem inactive.

Moreover, FOSS.in won't be what it used to be this year due to
organisational problems (will be mostly a hackfest, few talks) while
linuxcon Au has quite a few high-profile speakers and thus counts more
like a 'quality event'.

Just giving some balance ;-)

Anyone has more arguments?

OK I'm biased naturally enough... :) but I'll stick my oar in anyway

LCA is in the top 5 most important Linux Confs in the world
Conference is 5 days of hardcore developer presentations (This time round, no
marketing string. :( )
Attendance will probably be around the 800 mark but they will represent devs
from every major OpenSource project
The quality of speakers is second to none
You get the Top echelon of the FOSS world attending
You will probably get the opportunity to shake hands with Linus and Maddog
Open SUSE and Novell have been conspicuous by their absence at the last two
LCAs
Zonker has been a presenter in the past, I met him the first time at LCA in
Sydney
It is arguably the best place for recruiting developers

Unfortunately we are too late to be able to do any presentations, competition
is fierce in any case but there is the opportunity to network with the best in
the business. The Professionals Networking session on it's own is worth the
price of attending. My suggestion would be to bite the bullet and pay the
Professionals registration.

If you decide to go then I'll attend as well, just so we have a decent
OpenSUSE presence and we can register for a booth at the openday if there is
still room.

Cheers
GL

Best

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Ambassadors_list

So tell me, what do you think, where would you go, a visit to what
conference would have the most impact and help openSUSE the most? This
ain't only about me giving a talk or not - it is also about what local
openSUSE ambassadors are there, what they organize etcetera. So do you
have any plans for either of these conferences? Or is there another
conference in December or Januari that you think I should be going to?

Cheers,
Jos

--
Graham Lauder,

Ambassador for OpenSUSE Linux on your Desktop