Re: [zypp-devel] zypper can't remove NEVR packages
  • From: "Lorenzo Villani" <lvillani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:19:23 +0200
On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Michael Andres <ma@xxxxxxx> wrote:
target/rpm/RpmDb.cc

void RpmDb::removePackage( Package::constPtr package, unsigned flags )
{
return removePackage( package->name()
+ "-" + package->edition().asString()
+ "." + package->arch().asString(), flags );
}
Yes, I cam to the same function after digging for 1/2 Hour in both
zypper and libzypp source code (heh, I have no experience with their
codebase)

I suppose rpm dislikes the epoch in edition().asString(): '5:1.8.5-1'

Right, I'm making a patch for fedora which removes the epoch part.

BTW: In case 2 versions

4:1.8.5-1
5:1.8.5-1

were installed at the same time, would it be possible ot remove just one
of them with rpm?

AFAIK, the purpose of the Epoch number is to allow solvers to
determine the latest version of a package in such cases, example:
openafs-1.4.1rc9-rhel4.4
openafs-1.4.1-rhel4.5
The solution in this case is to add an Epoch: 1 to the SPEC file. Of
course a better solution is to add an Obsoletes tag but many, many
packages in Fedora use Epoch for "historical" reasons.

Regards
--
Lorenzo Villani
Blog: http://blog.binaryhelix.net