Re: [yast-devel] Mounting Btrfs subvolumes when there are no snapshots
On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 10:56:23AM +0200, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:

As part of the current effort to improve how we display Btrfs subvolumes
in the Partitioner I was checking how we mount them.

We always create a fstab entry for each subvolume like /home, /var...
That makes a lot of sense when the system has support for snapshots,
because the default subvolume is .snapshots/1/snapshot, so those fstab
entries are needed to make the content of each subvolume available in
the expected location.

The default subvolume was not .snapshots/1/snapshot several years
ago.

But when there are no snapshots, the default subvolume is the top-level
one (in openSUSE) or the "@" (in SLE). All other subvolumes are children
of that one, which means their content would be already available in the
expected location. But still we redundantly mount all those subvolumes
via fstab. I find that not only redundant but even confusing. If the
users decides to umount, let's say, /home... they will see the content
is still there after unmounting, which may be puzzling.

I assume YaST did the same setup so that user can later install snapper
and make rollbacks without having to fiddle with fstab first.

ciao
Arvin

--
Arvin Schnell, <aschnell@xxxxxxxx>