[yast-devel] Hack Week Project: YaST logs analyzer
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 15:57:00 +0100
Hi,
for this hackweek beside checking crystal I also plan to move a bit forward
with long standing question about usage of our modules and start writing logs
analyzer[1].

So far what analyzer is able to do?

1. can read logs from archive or search directory tree. Of course also works
with single y2log file even compressed.
2. can detect what module user runs for old and new runner ( y2core and also
y2base ).
3. detects which UI is used for given modules
4. output is written as YAML so it can be easily process further

example output:
---
:modules:
installation:
:count: 26
:ui:
:qt: 22
:ncurses: 4
firstboot:
:count: 4
:ui:
:qt: 3
:ncurses: 1
ftp-server:
:count: 3
:ui:
:ncurses: 3

Now question is what would be the most useful to proceed further? Few ideas:

- obtain collection of real yast logs ( so not from autoyast or from testing,
but from real customer ) and store it somewhere internally ( as it can contain
sensitive data ).
- add additional analysis. What will be useful? E.g. usage of expert
partitioner, detailed time configuration, what is clicked in installation
proposal? architecture usage and check differences in usage based on
architecture?
- filtering ability e.g. by arch or base product. Something like what customers
use on SLE15SP1, what customers use on s390. What is often used on Tumbleweed.
What is often used in ncurses, etc.

Any other ideas? I still have one more day, so I can try to play with some
ideas.

Josef

[1] https://github.com/yast/yast-devtools/pull/149