[yast-devel] Re: [opensuse-factory] YaST: highlights of development sprint 75

On śro, Apr 10, 2019 at 1:49 PM, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 4/10/19 1:38 PM, Stasiek Michalski wrote:
Hi,

On śro, Apr 10, 2019 at 1:27 PM, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Have you ever wondered how to develop a software that works flawlessly
in all languages, including right-to-left ones like Arabic? We wonder it
too!

Those and other interesting topics (both user-centric and developer
oriented) in the latest development report from the YaST Team at SUSE.

Profit!

https://lizards.opensuse.org/2019/04/10/yast-sprint-75/

I'm curious if there are plans for libnm backend alongside wicked,
yast-network could use libnm quite easily considering it is written
in ruby :P

Not in the short term, but it's on the roadmap. The main goal is to fix
(rewrite, in some cases) the current codebase to make it capable of
working with different back-ends. Something that is now simply missing -
the code is messy and completely tied to the tools and files
traditionally used to configure the network.

So one of the first steps of the whole initiative is to make the code
modular enough so it can use those tools/files directly or it can rely
on wicked or in NetworkManager. Once that is achieved (is not going to
be a bed of roses) we can start talking about libnm or any other
possible back-end.

That sounds exciting, I can't wait for progress on that.

It would certainly look (and probably work) nicer than calling shell every
couple of lines as it is the case with wicked there.

Certainly. Although we will have to explore how well can that work
during an installation, which is a very special use-case (basically
working in a "chrooted" and very limited environment).

I have been doing some prep work on NetworkManager's ifcfg-rh plugin
to work with wicked's ifcfg files, so I hope that YaST will be able
to make use of that part of NM as well (also will make an excellent
ifup, ifdown alternative).

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world