Re: [yast-devel] Assistance with logging and errors in yast-auth-server
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 09:43:47 +0100
V Fri, 29 Mar 2019 13:20:24 +1000
William Brown <wbrown@xxxxxxx> napsáno:

On 28 Mar 2019, at 19:05, Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx> wrote:

V Thu, 28 Mar 2019 10:52:29 +1000
William Brown <wbrown@xxxxxxx> napsáno:

On 27 Mar 2019, at 17:02, Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx> wrote:

V Wed, 27 Mar 2019 10:04:01 +1000
William Brown <wbrown@xxxxxxx> napsáno:

On 25 Mar 2019, at 16:52, Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Is there something I’m missing in YaST to show ruby exceptions or
errors?

Well, your problem is too generic exception catcher at
https://github.com/Firstyear/yast-auth-server/blob/2019-03-19-update-ds-create/src/lib/authserver/ui/new_dir_inst.rb#L131
It catches all exceptions, which in general I do not recommend as it
catches beside user errors also programmers ones. At least you can
change it to `rescue RuntimeError`. And for sure always log what you
catch unless you re-raise it, so it is not silent as now.
And because you catch exception, then global exception handler is not
in reached.

Errghh, I would never have found that. I’ve never seen a language that
uses rescue as an exception handler! Anyway, I now have the actual error
now (which is apperently that “log” IE log.debug() can’t be found in
authserver/dir/ds389.rb.).

Welcome to ruby world. BTW ruby also have throw and catch, but for
different purpose. See
http://rubylearning.com/blog/2011/07/12/throw-catch-raise-rescue--im-so-confused/

https://github.com/yast/yast-auth-server/pull/49

Thanks for your help, finally at a stage for a PR and some better review.
Please remember I’m inheriting this code, so not all the design decisions
were mine.

Thanks!

Hi,
I did quick review. In general it looks good, just some tips. And one more
here. Please consider using rubocop to have consistent style and ideally
try to use yast style config, so it will be consistent with rest of yast
modules.

I’m going to need some instructions and help on how to set this up (which
I’ll add to the README as well by the way :) )

Thanks for all your help and the reviews!

Hi,
I try to point you to our documentation ( you can check also other interesting
howtos there ). But we found that howto is only on our internal mailing list,
so I take this oppurtinity and move it to our documentation[2].
So please be our guinea and check that new part of our documentation[1] :)

Thanks
Josef

[1] https://yastgithubio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/rubocop/
[2] https://github.com/yast/yast.github.io/pull/183

Josef

Sincerely,

William Brown

Senior Software Engineer, 389 Directory Server
SUSE Labs