Re: [yast-devel] Assistance with logging and errors in yast-auth-server

On 27 Mar 2019, at 17:02, Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx> wrote:

V Wed, 27 Mar 2019 10:04:01 +1000
William Brown <wbrown@xxxxxxx> napsáno:

On 25 Mar 2019, at 16:52, Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Is there something I’m missing in YaST to show ruby exceptions or errors?

Well, your problem is too generic exception catcher at
https://github.com/Firstyear/yast-auth-server/blob/2019-03-19-update-ds-create/src/lib/authserver/ui/new_dir_inst.rb#L131
It catches all exceptions, which in general I do not recommend as it
catches beside user errors also programmers ones. At least you can change
it to `rescue RuntimeError`. And for sure always log what you catch unless
you re-raise it, so it is not silent as now.
And because you catch exception, then global exception handler is not in
reached.

Errghh, I would never have found that. I’ve never seen a language that uses
rescue as an exception handler! Anyway, I now have the actual error now
(which is apperently that “log” IE log.debug() can’t be found in
authserver/dir/ds389.rb.).

Welcome to ruby world. BTW ruby also have throw and catch, but for different
purpose. See
http://rubylearning.com/blog/2011/07/12/throw-catch-raise-rescue--im-so-confused/

https://github.com/yast/yast-auth-server/pull/49

Thanks for your help, finally at a stage for a PR and some better review.
Please remember I’m inheriting this code, so not all the design decisions were
mine.

Thanks!

Josef

Thanks for your help with this!

Sincerely,

William Brown

Senior Software Engineer, 389 Directory Server
SUSE Labs