Re: [yast-devel] Re: Second round: new features in the Partitioner UI
On 09/19/2018 01:45 PM, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
On 09/19/2018 01:29 PM, Kenneth Wimer wrote:
Hi Ancor,

Judging from the gifs, the two line approach seems to work well in regards
to noticing the buttons change but it feels
hierarchical, as if "Add Raid" is the main function and the others are
sub-functions of that.

Perhaps I can join a call tomorrow and we could discuss the details?

That would be great. See you tomorrow (Thursday) at 11 AM at
https://jangouts.suse.de/#/rooms/2025

The conversation just took place. Here are some notes for those interested.

First of all, this is a really though subject. We are still unsure what
is the best solution and what could be the users' response to the
changes. So the best we can do is try out some things and see how they
work in the mid-term.

About removing the dots
=======================

We will keep them for the time being. After all, the lack of space
shouldn't be a cause for ignoring a style guide.

Is still true that the style guide is outdated and doesn't match 100%
the partitioner approach. And it's also true that the style guide is
already being ignored in many YaST modules. But let's try to remain true
to the guide as long as we can do it.

We also mentioned the possibility of using the "…" character, that only
eats one space in ncurses. But we are quite scared about the i18n
consequences. Or do you guys believe it's a valid way out?

About grouping buttons
======================

We concluded that having a menu-button for "show", as suggested in the
section "Possible improvements 3" of the gist didn't look like a good idea.

Also having a menu-button for "add" feels kind of wrong, since it would
group actions that work over the whole set (like adding a new RAID or a
new VG) and actions that refer to the currently selected entry (like
adding a partition to the selected RAID or adding an LV to the selected VG).

Menu-buttons for "delete" and "edit" seems to make more sense. Specially
the latter. Having a "Edit" menu button would allow us to resolve the
current ambiguity about the meaning of the word (sometimes it means
formatting, sometimes it means jumping to the list of partitions...). It
would also match a typical UI expectation - an "edit" menu containing a
list of possible actions on the selected element. And last but not
least, "edit" is basically the only menu-button that makes sense to all
elements in all tables.

About adding a second line of buttons
=====================================

This have both pros and cons. In the "Hard disks" section could be too
overwhelming, but in general it looks like a valid approach for
"advanced" sections like RAID and "Volume Management".

Conclusions / result

It was a rather long conversation full of insights and side-tracks, so I
may be skipping important information. But I feel I have enough
information to propose a prototype. Stay tuned for that.

Cheers.

--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH