Re: [yast-devel] Executing our own code: inst-sys clients
On 08/15/2018 04:38 PM, Stefan Hundhammer wrote:
On 15.08.2018 16:08, Josef Reidinger wrote:
How can we get there? Don't you have the same problems? How do you
develop
code that will live in the inst-sys?
well, integrated byebug debugger helps.

Sorry, no. That byebug debugger is worse than useless. It pretends to
offer something that it doesn't deliver in real life. This is like
trying to debug a complex KDE application with plain gdb - an exercise
in futility.

What exactly do you miss?

As said in another mail, after writing a script/test to reproduce the
problem, I find dropping a couple of calls to byebug here and there to
be EXTREMELY useful. What do you miss from other debuggers?

Just curious. I want to know what kind of debugging tools you are
missing. Maybe there is something similar for Ruby. I have not
researched beyond byebug... maybe because I'm just too easy to please. ;-)

For example, in the past I used some visual frontends for gdb when
writing C/C++, like ddd[1] and so on. But since in Ruby I don't have to
manage the pointers and the memory myself I have not felt the need of
them anymore.

Cheers.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/
--