Re: [yast-devel] storage-ng and cloud storage
On Tue, 30 May 2017 12:38:38 +0200
Arvin Schnell <aschnell@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 09:00:02AM +0200, Josef Reidinger wrote:
Hi,

yesterday we are discussing a bit plans about merge storage-ng, new
partitioner and such stuff into SLE15 and according to Factory first rule
also to tumbleweed and it looks like we like to integrate it as early as
possible to get some feedback, which is good.

On other hand, from user perspective it will look like that we reduce
number of working features and do not provide anything new for them, so new
storage would be regression for them. So I get idea that it would be great
if we can add at least one new "free-cool-in" feature that make sense for
SLE and also opensuse users. That is widely used and also easy to implement
( as we are already quite busy with development ) and after some googling I
think that allowing to easy mount cloud storage in expert partitioner can
be exactly that feature. For SLE we should support ceph ( so easy
integration with SUSE storage ) and for opensuse it make sense to support
at least one public cloud storage provider ( like google drive, AWS, Azure
blob, rackspace, etc. which is the easiest to implement ). I think it is
trending enough feature, it should not be hard to implement ( basically
entry in fstab ), it has UI ( so easy to demonstrate ) and everybody knows
it.

Why not provide features actually requested? E.g.

- root filesystem encryption without LVM

This almost works, just grub fails to install.

- bcache support

Probing is already implemented.

Very good points. Well, reasons why I get the idea is that rest of stack is
already there and basically it is one entry in /etc/fstab ( no probing, kernel
driver for cephfs is already in ), so it can be done without libstorage ( to
not disrupt work there ). There are not much dependencies on rest of storage (
probably just collision of mount points with snapshots ), so quite isolated
stuff, that do not need a lot of work and on other hand can be nice selling
point as it is widely known technology, have UI and can also promote SUSE
storage, so we can get some plus points from product managers.

But as I write it was just idea, something that can be discussed and as I see
mostly resistance and not much interested in it, I do not plan to investigate
it any further. But thanks for constructive feedback.

BTW bcache also sound interesting, we just probably need to involve designers
team when adding it to expert partitioner to show it reasonable for multiple
spin and ssd disks.

Josef

ciao Arvin