[yast-devel] storage-ng and cloud storage
Hi,

yesterday we are discussing a bit plans about merge storage-ng, new partitioner
and such stuff into SLE15 and according to Factory first rule also to
tumbleweed and it looks like we like to integrate it as early as possible to
get some feedback, which is good.

On other hand, from user perspective it will look like that we reduce number of
working features and do not provide anything new for them, so new storage would
be regression for them. So I get idea that it would be great if we can add at
least one new "free-cool-in" feature that make sense for SLE and also opensuse
users. That is widely used and also easy to implement ( as we are already quite
busy with development ) and after some googling I think that allowing to easy
mount cloud storage in expert partitioner can be exactly that feature. For SLE
we should support ceph ( so easy integration with SUSE storage ) and for
opensuse it make sense to support at least one public cloud storage provider (
like google drive, AWS, Azure blob, rackspace, etc. which is the easiest to
implement ). I think it is trending enough feature, it should not be hard to
implement ( basically entry in fstab ), it has UI ( so easy to demonstrate )
and everybody knows it.

So here is few my questions:

- Do you think it makes sense?

- Does it make sense to add support for it also in libstorage-ng? And if so,
how hard it will be?

- Does it make sense to also allow non-root access to partitioner via pam-mount
configuration, so each user can mount his own google drive?

In general my estimation how fast I can do this feature without libstorage-ng
and with augeas for fstab is one week of work.

Josef