Re: [yast-devel] Protected branches at GitHub?
Dne 20.9.2016 v 12:25 Ladislav Slezak napsal(a):
As already proposed, let's try it few repositories and see how it works for
us. If we
find it annoying (disabling too often) we can disable it and stop using it.

So far there was no problem related to the protected branches and as we
discussed
at the retrospective meeting we should enable it for more repositories.

Therefore I have enabled it for all maintenance branches + the master branch
for all
yast/* GitHub repositories [1]. I wrote a simple script for doing that [2], it
reported adding 2032 protected branches in total.

As it was processed by a script I could over look some problem, if a wrong
repository
or a branch is protected just ping me and I'll fix that.

Please enable it also for the libyui repositories (I do not have admin
permissions
there) and for the repos outside the "yast" organization (snapper, libstorage,
linuxrc... I do not have a complete list and I do not know which branches
should be
affected).

Either adapt my script or if it's only few repos you can do it manually at
GitHub,
see the documentation [3]. In addition to the documentation enable also the
"Require
pull request reviews before merging" and the "Include administrators" check
boxes to
have the same values everywhere.

Note: For protected branches we could enable the "Require status checks to pass
before merging" option, but as Travis/OBS is currently not much reliable I have
not
enabled that.

We might reconsider this after switching to Docker based builds at Travis but
for now
it would be too strict as I think it could block merging a PR just because of
some
Travis or OBS issue which is not under our control.

Note2: If you really need to do something what is not allowed with the protected
branches and is a legitimate action (e.g. cleaning up a messed history) we can
disable this feature temporarily and fix the issue.

In that case just ping me or ask anybody with the GitHub admin rights for the
repo.

Enjoy! :-)

Ladislav

[1] I have disabled it back for the yast/burndown as PRs are not used there
[2] https://github.com/yast/helper_scripts/pull/5
[3] https://help.github.com/articles/configuring-protected-branches/

--

Best Regards