Re: [yast-devel] YaST Installer Memory Consumption (the Ruby part)
On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 01:17:54PM +0200, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
On 07/11/2016 01:12 PM, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
On 07/07/2016 07:38 PM, Ladislav Slezak wrote:

A quick scan found out that the place which consumes most memory is

/usr/share/YaST2/lib/installation/ssh_config_file.rb:45:STRING: count: 4,
total size: 274056

which loads the SSH keys and configuration from the previous installation
and needs
about 270kB memory.

Is that the largest allocation, or the largest persistent (leaked)
allocation? IMHO we do not need to care if the memory is freed soon
enough.

The question is we can optimize it better, the SSH keys actually need to
be stored
somewhere as the target partition will be reformatted...

A quite trivial modification would be to change SshConfigFile#content
and SshKey::KeyFile#content to store the content of the files in a
temporary file and not in memory. It should be completely harmless,
since that code is new, sane and covered by unit tests.

Imo just made me notice that a temporary file is memory as well. Never
mind. I said nothing. ;-)

But a temporary file can be deleted and the memory reused (I hope).
Which may be easier than convincing Ruby to let go of all the