Re: [yast-devel] YaST Installer Memory Consumption (the Ruby part)
Dne 11.7.2016 v 13:17 Ancor Gonzalez Sosa napsal(a):
Imo just made me notice that a temporary file is memory as well. Never
mind. I said nothing. ;-)

Yes, until the installer formats and mounts the /mnt target everything is in
memory.
The trick is that / is located in a RAM disk, i.e. saving to a file eats RAM...

My idea is to compress the loaded data, in my test the ~270kB SSH data
was gzipped to ~17kB. That's a pretty high compression ratio.

'xz' would be even a bit more efficient (~13kB). But gzip is much easier
to use in Ruby, it is built-in:

At read:

require "zlib"
compressed = Zlib::Deflate.deflate(read_data)

[Run the installation]

At write:

write_data = Zlib::Inflate.inflate(compressed)

Imo what do you think about it?

--

Ladislav Slezák
Appliance department / YaST Developer