Re: [yast-devel] YaST2 reorganization discussion: gem
On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 08:00:45AM +0200, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 16:12:05 +0200
Martin Vidner <mvidner@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Have you considered going all the way and packaging our repos as
gems? You know, gemspec, gem2rpm, rpm.

Maybe the parts with C++, cough Perl cough, would be harder, but it
should be easy for pure Ruby, once we conform to the conventions as
proposed above.

I think the benefit would be that bundler could set up things that
we now need to do in VMs.

Yes, we [have] consider[ed] it and [the] reason why not [use gems] is still
[the] same. A yast module
contain beside lib also other parts like clients, modules, autoyast
schemas and others, which cannot be packaged as gem, as we cannot get
them into correct location.

Yes, but these are all part of a YaST API that we control, so we
could amend core and ruby-bindings to look in new gem-style paths.

Are there paths that we do not control?
- desktop files
- ...?
--