[yast-devel] Announcement: Ruby debugger in YaST
  • From: Ladislav Slezak <lslezak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 15:43:36 +0200

Hi all,

I have added support for starting the Ruby debugger (byebug) [1]
from YaST, see the related feature #318421 [2].

Until now debugging the YaST installation was usually done by checking the y2log. If you needed more details you would add one more "log" call. This is inconvenient and take too much time. For better debugging a real debugger would be nice...

Tadáááá... ;-)

* Ladies and gentlemen, welcome the byebug debugger in the installer! *

From now on you can use a fully featured Ruby debugger in the installation.
Simply boot the installer with Y2DEBUGGER=1 and that's it!

More over the same support has been done to installed system, just
start the YaST module like this:

Y2DEBUGGER=1 yast2 <client>

(Just make sure the rubygem-byebug package is installed in the system, it is not
installed by default.)

For more details see the new documentation [3].

If you have any questions or comments, just ask me.

Note: the Ruby debugger can obviously debug only the Ruby code,
if you need to debug another parts written e.g. in C++ you need to use
"gdb".

Enjoy!

[1] https://github.com/deivid-rodriguez/byebug
[2] https://fate.novell.com/318421