[yast-devel] Re: [Research] Call for ideas: parted vs. udev-events vs. kernel
Hi all,

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 05:06:07PM +0200, Stefan Hundhammer wrote:
In the YaST storage area, we have a problem that manifests itself in
very subtle bugs:

Stefan: Thank you for starting this thread.

[...]
After investigating this quite some bit, it turned out that even
though it should be purely read-only, "parted -l" opens the disk
device first read-only,

This is the probing done by parted itself,

then closes it, then reopens it read-write
(for reasons we don't understand yet)

This second RW open is done by libparted - it simply does not
care if the operation to be performed needs RW access or not.

BTW, as I have less and less time for parted, I would like to
offer it to anybody who would like to become a (co?)maintainer.

Best,

Petr

--
Petr Uzel