Re: [yast-devel] Idea: Dynamic Folding of Translated Texts
On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 08:49:03AM +0200, Lukas Ocilka wrote:
# The problem

We often inform users in dialogs (e.g. warning pop-up, labels) about
some current situation which contains a generated text based on, for
instance, lists of disks or network interfaces. In many cases, the
length of these lists/strings is unknown when we write the text in our
code. Moreover, translations can change it quite a lot. Depending on the
selected UI type, we might or might not fit.

For reference, Rails has word_wrap:
http://apidock.com/rails/ActionView/Helpers/TextHelper/word_wrap

word_wrap(text, options = {}) public

Wraps the text into lines no longer than line_width width. This
method breaks on the first whitespace character that does not exceed
line_width (which is 80 by default).

word_wrap('Once upon a time')
# => Once upon a time

word_wrap('Once upon a time, in a kingdom called Far Far Away, a
king fell ill, and finding a successor to the throne turned out to
be more trouble than anyone could have imagined...')
# => Once upon a time, in a kingdom called Far Far Away, a king fell
# ill, and finding\na successor to the throne turned out to be more
# trouble than anyone could have\nimagined...

word_wrap('Once upon a time', line_width: 8)
# => Once\nupon a\ntime

word_wrap('Once upon a time', line_width: 1)
# => Once\nupon\na\ntime
--
Martin Vidner, YaST Team
http://en.opensuse.org/User:Mvidner