Re: [yast-devel] RFC: Yast Logging Format
  • From: Ladislav Slezak <lslezak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 21:25:14 +0100
Dne 21.1.2016 v 10:26 Lukas Ocilka napsal(a):

Business Case: Easier to analyse logs in bug reports.
'journalctl --output short-monotonic' so that times in the various logs
can be compared and events can be synchronized.

I can see the point, but it has both advantages and disadvantages:

+ The monotonic time is measured in seconds from the kernel boot. That means e.g. a time zone change, DST change, the clock adjustments done by NTP, etc... do not affect the logged time and you can easily compare several logs.

- Sometimes you really need to know the "real" time. If a customer by mistake attaches an old log you can easily spot it. (I have really seen this issue...)

A solution could be to log the current "real" time at the beginning, then continue to use the monotonic time. The "showy2log" tool could be adjusted to optionally convert the time stamps.

Is there any other reason for changing the format? Any other benefit?
Or any other possible improvements? If we want to change it we should do
it at once.

I don't want to spoil your mind by the feature itself as there is
already some discussion happening. What I actually want is you to think
a bit deeper about this request from your POV. What would it change for
us or others, what would it be good or bad for, what the requester
actually wanted and how to make them happy and the team as well if possible.

Personally I do not mind changing a bit the logging format provided we keep the current data (component, file location, PID, etc...).

So far I only know the "showy2log" tool which deals with the y2log content. We would need to adapt it. But what about NTS, maybe they have some tools for processing y2log...??

--

Best Regards

Ladislav Slez√°k
Yast Developer