Re: [yast-devel] Feedback needed: users screen
On 21.1.2016 11:11, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
Hopefully, everything is self-explanatory with this approach. The
problem is that the last screenshot looks too crowded (maybe too much
for same verbose languages). But I not sure if I like the alternatives
we discussed in irc.
You can get rid of crowdness by not being so verbose, also some option
reordering can help.
Option 1: Skip user creation (use authentication server)
//this can fit in one line even in Russian
Option 2: Create new user
//selected by default, all the corresponding fields go unchanged
If there was an existing installation detected, below goes the same
text field as in current screen, but it says smth like "Existing
installation was detected at <partition>. You can import users from
there" and the button wiil be "Select users".

So you mean no radio button for importing users. Isn't it? The problem
is that then is not so obvious, from my POV, that importing users and
creating a new one are exclusive to each other.

Radio button is a must have as these three options are mutually
exclusive (as they are implemented now ~ is that actually correct?).

The most used option should be the first. From this POV, importing users
from previous / other installation might be even the most useful one.
This might differ between openSUSE, SLES and SLED.

openSUSE is for home user - local auth method is probably the most used
one, so importing from previous installation
SLED - corporate ENV -> authentication server
SLED - laptop -> one local user, maybe with importing if possible
SLES - skip user creation

So, I basically don't think it has one good answer for question: what
should be the first, as it depends on more than just one circumstances.

I think this way all three options will be correctly presented without
much visual clutter.

I'll try a solution with the three radio buttons but with your wording
and sorting suggestions.

Side note: is has to fit into 80x25 characters. I'm afraid that an
additional text field might not fit (if that was a RichText, it takes 3
lines at minimum).

Thanks
Lukas

SLE Department, SUSE Linux