Re: [yast-devel] Feedback needed: users screen
  • From: Alexander Melentev <minton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 12:48:34 +0300
Hi, Ancor & all
If you are OK with recieving some user feedback through devel list,
I'd like to share my opinion on that.

After getting some bug reports about usability of the "create user"
screen during installation we have decided to do something about it...
but it's not so easy.

The current status
==================

Here you can see the current screen.
http://paste.opensuse.org/29576621
There is quite some functionality hidden there:

A) You can select the password encryption method
(clicking on "Change...")

B) You can select one of only one of these options:

B.1) Create a user
(Obvious)

B.2) Skip user creation
(Leaving the form blank and clicking "Next", a confirmation
popup will be displayed "This only makes sense in environments
with an authentication service. Are you sure?")

B.3) Import users from a previous installation.
(Clicking on "Change..." and then checking the corresponding
checkbox -only visible if users are detected- under the
section "authentication method")

B.3 is so well hidden that I wouldn't be surprised if nobody uses it or
if the feature is full of bugs.
Wow, I can only remember one time I've actually seen this dialog about
importing existing users

Hopefully, everything is self-explanatory with this approach. The
problem is that the last screenshot looks too crowded (maybe too much
for same verbose languages). But I not sure if I like the alternatives
we discussed in irc.
You can get rid of crowdness by not being so verbose, also some option
reordering can help.
Option 1: Skip user creation (use authentication server)
//this can fit in one line even in Russian
Option 2: Create new user
//selected by default, all the corresponding fields go unchanged
If there was an existing installation detected, below goes the same
text field as in current screen, but it says smth like "Existing
installation was detected at <partition>. You can import users from
there" and the button wiil be "Select users".

I think this way all three options will be correctly presented without
much visual clutter.
--
Regards, Minton.