[yast-devel] See more information during 'git rebase -i'
  • From: Stefan Hundhammer <shundhammer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 15:10:11 +0100
Normally, when you do a git rebase -i 'HEAD~5', you only get very limited information to decide what to do with which patch:

pick 6b99e03 Fixed boo#955103
pick 0b96614 Resolved issue with not adding subvol not starting with @
pick 5b51d4b Resolved boo#955103 and related bugs introduced from change
pick baea7c7 Removed duplicate code (boo#955103)
pick 61eb457 version bump and change log

Sometimes that's just not enough. I just had to move out all my recent patches to a feature branch, so I wanted to know who authored each commit. There is a way to do this:

pick 6b99e03 2015-12-22 14:00:39 +0100 alanbortu@xxxxxxxxx Fixed boo#955103
pick 0b96614 2015-12-22 14:00:39 +0100 alanbortu@xxxxxxxxx Resolved issue with not adding subvol not starting with @
pick 5b51d4b 2015-12-22 14:00:39 +0100 alanbortu@xxxxxxxxx Resolved boo#955103 and related bugs introduced from change
pick baea7c7 2015-12-22 14:00:40 +0100 alanbortu@xxxxxxxxx Removed duplicate code (boo#955103)
pick 61eb457 2015-12-22 14:26:26 +0100 shundhammer@xxxxxxx version bump and change log

(Long lines wrapped by that crappy mail client I am using)

To configure this, edit your ~/.gitconfig and add:

[rebase]
instructionFormat = %ci %ae %s

That's it. The %something formats you can use are documented in

man git-log

see "The placeholders are:" there.

CU
--
Stefan Hundhammer <shundhammer@xxxxxxx>
YaST Developer

SUSE Linux GmbH
GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton; HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany