Re: [yast-devel] Moving Clients to 'lib' && Keeping the History
On 4.12.2015 16:06, rneuhauser@xxxxxxx wrote:
The trick was to persuade git that I have just moved files from one
location to another. I've probably discovered America today, but it
still might be helpful to you :)

git does not track moves/renames. unlike some other versioning tools
like svn or hg, git does not attach any "identity" to a file.

This is about moving code from place A to place B. How Martin did it
made him author of all the code at place B, which I just did not want.
The trick was to do it in more steps.

i don't know what "this move has removed all the history from those new
files" means, but it's probably about a github's shortcoming.

Well, hasn't "removed the history", you can still see it, but developers
usually try `git blame` to find out who and why did something, so it's
not just GitHub. And even if so, we use GitHub, so we somehow have to
take that into account anyway.

HTH
Lukas

SLE Department, SUSE Linux