Re: [yast-devel] High level notes about new storage API
  • From: Stefan Hundhammer <shundhammer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 10:29:01 +0200
Am 22.10.2015 um 08:37 schrieb Josef Reidinger:
I do not want to start flame and I am fine with such explanation, I
just said it should be documented ( and it will as you write above ).
During my presentations I often get such question for yast. Why it is
ruby and not python, js, go, whatever ( funny that noone mention C++ or
perl, probably not enough sexy:).

In most cases, this question can be answered simply:

"Because we wrote it and not you. We chose the tool we feel most comfortable with."

The point is moot. There will always be yet another $HYPED_PROGRAMMING_LANGUAGE_OF_THE_MONTH. But look at what became of most of them, how much they are used for professional work of any kind, how strong the community around them is, how much tool support there is, how quickly they and their tools become obsolete, and if those tools ever became even mature and stable enough to justify sustained development for a non-trivial project.

IMHO anybody who seriously suggests to write anything the size of YaST in any of Go, JavaScript, Haskell and whatnot either doesn't have any clue of anything or is not seriously willing to make it work in all its aspects -- and keep it working for decades.

Just my €0.02
--
Stefan Hundhammer <shundhammer@xxxxxxx>
YaST Developer

SUSE Linux GmbH
GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton; HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany