Re: [yast-devel] Services UI strikes back
On 2.5.2015 11:38, Christian Boltz wrote:
Hello,

after the discussion we just had at the YaST workshop, here's my
proposal ("written" in GIMP ;-) - see the attached screenshot.

I removed two things:
- the "[ ] LDAP support active" checkbox - should go to another screen
- After saving the config "( ) stop the service" - that's an unrealistic
usecase IMHO (if you want to stop the service, you typically don't
care about the config ;-)

The second change also means that we can replace the radio buttons with
a checkbox
[x] Reload/restart the service after saving settings
which should be enabled by default.

This gives us enough space to keep the firewall settings on the same
page - but if you really, really want, you can also move it to another
page.

I like the proposal.

- Start/Stop and Enable/Disable are on the same screen
- Even save, but do not exit - is there

What is still a bit weir is

"Currently" which is IMO "Current status" or something similar

Oh, and don't forget to re-add the LDAP checkbox somewhere ;-)

Yes, that's the problem, where to put it? Alone? If we create another
screen, LDAP check-box would be there alone. So, maybe also move
firewall there too? On the other hand, moving firewall elsewhere would
move it also from the obvious place where I'd expect it.

To fix that problem, we might need to always check whether the service
would be reachable (firewall stopped or port opened) before saving the
configuration and maybe asking user to confirm that?

BTW, side note: Firewall is disabled doesn't help the user to understand
that they can't open a port in disabled firewall. Just changing the
label to be more informative might help. Yes, I know it's a generic
thing in CWM.

Thx for your ideas
Lukas

SLE Department, SUSE Linux