Re: [yast-devel] Services UI strikes back
On 28.4.2015 22:50, Christian Boltz wrote:
I don't know much about bind, but I'm slightly surprised about the
"[ ] LDAP Support Active" option - why is this option on the same tab as
the start now/on boot settings?

I'd guess "LDAP Support Active" is a config option for bind, and
therefore should be on another tab (maybe "Basic Options"?)

It's a generic Bind option to store records in LDAP. Well, we could
label then checkbox "Store DNS Records in LDAP" then, that's true.

But we didn't have any "general options" and for that reason, we just
put it next to firewall and named service.

To sum it up - I'd take option B with the "LDAP Support Active" option
moved to another tab. And I'd propose to use _exactly_ that screen for
all services.

I'd actually move LDAP + Firewall to some other tab as services
start/enable belong to each other from my POV.

If you think option B has too much on one page, move the firewall
settings to a separate "Firewall" tab. That's still better than option A
;-) (and if a service needs multiple independent ports (for example, 80
and 443 for Apache), you even have some room for more checkboxes)

This is not needed. There will always be just one checkbox for all ports
at once. Yast always enables a service defined in
/etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2.d/services/ instead of opening/closing
ports in firewall. See
http://kobliha-suse.blogspot.cz/2008/06/firewall-services-defined-by-packages.html
(sorry for the advert).

Bye