Re: [yast-devel] Services UI strikes back
  • From: Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 17:48:47 +0200
On 04/28/2015 02:39 PM, Lukas Ocilka wrote:
On 28.4.2015 12:55, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
The first page of the document is unchanged, so you can skip it if you
already know the problem.

Cheers.

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TQO-bdqagSOUssGqJsf3eEeMDh2w40BujdOFP9-te0w/edit?usp=sharing

Hi,
for me option A looks better, we just need better wording. Maybe
"State" and "Service" instead of start-up?

From my POV, the current state of a service and start-up are related, so
I'd expect them on the same screen. On the other hand, both options A
and B seem to be too complicated for the first (and even second) sight.

Yes, that's a known issue. But after discussing the UI for more than
three hours in several meetings and also in a quite long mail thread, we
were not able to find a UI being both usable (i.e. easy) and clear (i.e.
with no room for surprises). Looks like we have to choose one. So the
goal if this proposal is to ensure that nobody gets an unexpected state
after saving, even at expenses of usability.

Additionally, option B have them one one screen, but they are separated
by LDAP and Firewall settings. Reconsidering these screens ~ maybe LDAP
and Firewall do not belong there at all. They aren't actually related to
service (status) at all.

BTW, I replied mainly to remind you to keep Ken in CC.

Cheers.
--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH