Re: [yast-devel] Services UI, a different approach

Hello,

On Mar 9 12:47 Kenneth Wimer wrote (excerpt):
On 09/03/15 10:42, Johannes Meixner wrote:

What I am thinking about is:
When an unexperienced user reads in whatever documentation
that he must for example "start apache", then YaST should
provide a user interface, where even an unexperienced user
can find something that matches his intent to "start apache"
where YaST does everything so that the "apache" thingy works.
Perhaps such a functionality belongs to a YaST module
to set up a web server and not to the YaST module to
configure individual services?
In this case the YaST module to configure individual services
is not meant to be used by unexperienced users.

In any case, an inexperienced user should, in most cases,
not be starting a web server or other complex service.

Unfortunately I used an existing service name for my example
which leads to misunderstanding.

I rephrase what I was thinking about:
When an unexperienced user reads in whatever documentation
that he must for example "start foo", then YaST should
provide a user interface, where even an unexperienced user
can find something that matches his intent to "start foo"
where YaST does everything so that the "foo" thingy works.

There is no way to make an interface for highly complex
processes that is simple enough for an inexperienced user
without expecting too much of them or simplifying things
down, which in turn angers every other user.

A perfect reason to get rid of the YaST printer module
because printing is a highly complex process:
https://features.opensuse.org/308045

I think this brings up a good topic: who is YaST made for?
From a SUSE perspective it is not the home/inexperienced user

From a pure SUSE perspective there is probably
no home/inexperienced user ( except they pay for SLE ;-)

What about an openSUSE perspective?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX GmbH - GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild,
Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)