[yast-devel] Topic days for the Yast team?

Hi all,

I have an interesting idea for the Yast team. What about starting
"topic days" events regularly? Some upstream projects do
for example "bug squashing days", we could do something similar.

Pros:

+ whole team is focused on one topic, we could get more ideas, opinions, better
find
a solution which works for more yast modules...
+ doing the same in all modules at once means we use the same (or similar)
solution
in all Yast modules, we can easily unify the solution
+ doing the work in parallel for many developers mean it will be done fast
(or finished in the end, sometimes I fix/improve something in one module but
do not have enough time to do it in all other Yast repos...)
+ improves team spirit and team cooperation
+ the team as whole learns something new

Cons:

- the date and the topic needs to be set in advance
- needs some preparation in advance, someone has to lead the project
- does not work for all projects, the project needs to scale easily
(i.e. it does not need any deep knowledge about the module, the task
needs to be generic enough for all developers)

The project should take max. few hours for each developer, the real power is in
the
massive[1] parallel work.

I have some example topics/projects which we could try:

- Improve Yast README files (as discussed in a separate thread)

- Fix yardoc documentation comments. Many Yast modules print
warnings when building the docs, usually there are typos
(@return vs. @returns), obsoleted/missing parameters, typos in type names...
which can be easily fixed without any knowledge of the module.

- Convert old tests to RSpec

- Use coveralls for code coverage status

- Use rubocop for checking the code

For tracking the status we could use a google docs spreadsheet, it worked well
for us in the YCP killer project. We knew the overall progress, who was working
on
what (no conflicts)...

Of course, your participation would not be mandatory, if you would not like a
specific project or you would have something more important to do (L3s...) then
you
would not have to join.

What do you think about it? Would you participate in such event? Do you have
more
ideas what projects we could do?

Thanks for your response!

[1] Well, with the rather small team we have it cannot be that "massive",
but anyway...

--

Best Regards

Ladislav Slezák